Peptides for skin are often touted for their ability to penetrate the skin tissue to deliver healthy-aging skin benefits, such as improving the look of skin wrinkles, fine lines, and dark circles under the eyes. Peptides are a popular ingredient that can be found in many skincare products like facial moisturizers. Studies have found that when applied topically, peptides, which are composed of amino acids, can help stimulate collagen production to improve the appearance of aging skin.1,2 When used consistently as part of a skincare routine for healthy-looking skin, our formulas with peptides can help to improve the appearance of fatigued skin to reveal firmer, smoother-looking skin as well as help minimize the look of fine lines and wrinkles.
Important Things To Know About Peptides
What Is a Peptide and What Does It Do?
Proteins are a crucial part of the makeup of your skin, including your skin’s protective barrier. The middle layer of your skin, also known as the dermis, is made up of collagen proteins. Your skin’s protective barrier, or what is scientifically known as the epidermis, is made up of keratin protein. Amino acids form peptides and polypeptide chains to build these essential proteins. This means that peptides play an important role in maintaining a healthy skin barrier.
A peptide is a small chain of amino acids linked by a chemical bond called a peptide bond. Peptides and proteins are very similar. Amino acids are not only the building blocks of peptides, but also protein. The primary difference between them is their size. Proteins are considered larger versions of peptides and are able to form more complex structures.
How Can I Add Peptides To My Skincare Routine?
Incorporating peptides into your skincare routine is as simple as choosing a gentle product formulated with peptides that’s suitable for your skin type and concerns. For a face moisturizer option, we recommend CeraVe Skin Renewing Night Cream—a hydrating and rejuvenating night cream formulated with biomimetic peptides, hyaluronic acid, and ceramides. This night cream helps improve the appearance of fatigued skin, locks in skin’s moisture, and helps restore your skin barrier overnight
How Are Peptides Used in Skincare?
Peptides in skincare are often found in topical products, including moisturizers and eye creams. They help fight signs of aging, such as the appearance of fatigued skin, as well as help the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. As you get older, your body produces less collagen, which can lead to the appearance of aging skin. Many peptides for skin are able to trigger a repairing signal that tells your skin to produce more collagen and elastin where you need it most. When these peptides are applied topically, they can help to reduce fine lines and wrinkles, improve skin elasticity, and help skin appear smoother and firmer, making it an effective healthy-aging ingredient.
Can All Skin Types Use Peptides?
Yes, CeraVe’s peptide skincare formulas are suitable for use by all skin types. Seek the advice of a certified dermatologist if you are unsure on how best to incorporate peptides into your skincare routine.
- Ganceviciene, Ruta, et al. “Skin Anti-Aging Strategies.” Dermato-Endocrinology, vol. 4, no. 3, 2012, pp. 308–19. Crossref, https://doi.org/10.4161/derm.22804.
- Jeong, Sekyoo, et al. “Anti-Wrinkle Benefits of Peptides Complex Stimulating Skin Basement Membrane Proteins Expression.” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 21, no. 1, 2019, p. 73. Crossref, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms21010073.
Explore Our Ingredients
- Benzoyl Peroxide (BPO)
- Facts About Dimethicone in Skincare | Ingredients | CeraVe Canada
- What Is Glycolic Acid and How Can It Benefit Your Skin? | CeraVe
- Hyaluronic Acid (HA)
- Facts About Lactic Acid in Skincare | Ingredients | CeraVe Canada
- Facts About Niacinamide in Skincare | Ingredients | CeraVe Canada
- Facts About Peptides in Skincare | Ingredients | CeraVe Canada
- Facts About Petrolatum in Skincare | Ingredients | CeraVe Canada
- Pramoxine Hydrochloride
- Facts About Retinol in Skincare | Ingredients | CeraVe Canada
- Facts About Salicylic Acid in Skincare for Clear Skin | CeraVe Canada
- Facts About Vitamin C in Skincare | Ingredients | CeraVe Canada
- Facts About Zinc Oxide in Skincare | Ingredients | CeraVe Canada
Stay Informed On All Things Skincare
Sign up to receive information about new products, skincare routines, tips, and special offers.*