Important Things to Know about Pramoxine Hydrochloride
How does pramoxine hydrochloride work?
Pramoxine hydrochloride is a local anesthetic, which means it numbs the skin where it is applied to help minimize the sensation of itching and pain.2 By temporarily numbing the skin, pramoxine hydrochloride provides temporary relief from itching caused by insect bites, minor skin irritations, sunburn and more.3 Clinical studies have shown that pramoxine hydrochloride begins working in as little as two minutes, and its effects last for up to eight hours.4
Is pramoxine hydrochloride available over-the-counter (OTC)?
Pramoxine hydrochloride is found in concentrations of 0.5% - 1% in over-the-counter (OTC) itch-relief lotions and creams. These products can be applied as needed up to three or four times daily.
Is pramoxine hydrochloride an antihistamine?
No, pramoxine hydrochloride is not an antihistamine. It is a local anesthetic that numbs the skin to minimize itching.
Who should use pramoxine hydrochloride?
Pramoxine hydrochloride is a beneficial ingredient for anyone experiencing itching due to minor irritations, insect bites, sunburn or rashes due to poison ivy. Do not use pramoxine hydrochloride on children under the age of two unless directed by a physician.
Can pramoxine hydrochloride be used with other skincare ingredients?
When using pramoxine hydrochloride for relief from itching due to minor skin irritation, it can be helpful to incorporate ingredients that help maintain the skin’s moisture and comfort, such as ceramides which help restore the skin’s natural barrier.
Can pramoxine hydrochloride be used on the body?
Pramoxine hydrochloride can be used to help relieve itching on the face and body.
Explore Our Ingredients
- Benzoyl Peroxide (BPO)
- Facts About Dimethicone in Skincare | Ingredients | CeraVe Canada
- What Is Glycolic Acid and How Can It Benefit Your Skin? | CeraVe
- Hyaluronic Acid (HA)
- Facts About Lactic Acid in Skincare | Ingredients | CeraVe Canada
- Facts About Niacinamide in Skincare | Ingredients | CeraVe Canada
- Facts About Peptides in Skincare | Ingredients | CeraVe Canada
- Facts About Petrolatum in Skincare | Ingredients | CeraVe Canada
- Pramoxine Hydrochloride
- Facts About Retinol in Skincare | Ingredients | CeraVe Canada
- Facts About Salicylic Acid in Skincare for Clear Skin | CeraVe Canada
- Facts About Vitamin C in Skincare | Ingredients | CeraVe Canada
- Facts About Zinc Oxide in Skincare | Ingredients | CeraVe Canada
Stay Informed On All Things Skincare
Sign up to receive information about new products, skincare routines, tips, and special offers.*