Important Things to Know about Salicylic Acid
How does salicylic acid work?
Salicylic acid helps exfoliate the skin by loosening the “glue” that holds skin cells together. By promoting their natural shedding, salicylic acid helps loosen dead skin cells to reveal fresh, healthy-looking skin. This light exfoliation can also help prevent pores from becoming clogged with dead skin cells, which can help minimize acne. At certain levels, salicylic acid also helps improve the symptoms of psoriasis by reducing scaling and helping to prevent their recurrence.
How is salicylic acid used?
The gentle exfoliating benefits of salicylic acid can be found in cleansers, lotions, creams and other skincare formulations designed specifically for rough and bumpy skin and psoriasis. When used as directed, these products can help you get smoother, healthier looking skin.
Who should use salicylic acid?
With gentle exfoliating benefits for rough or bumpy skin and skin conditions like psoriasis, salicylic acid has far-reaching benefits.
Is extra sun protection necessary when using salicylic acid?
Every skincare regimen (with or without salicylic acid) should include a daily sunscreen that is applied every morning, rain or shine, and reapplied at least every two hours during extended periods of sun exposure. However, salicylic acid’s exfoliating effects can leave the skin more vulnerable to UV rays, so taking extra sun protection measures is recommended.
Explore Our Ingredients
- Facts About Benzoyl Peroxide in Skincare | CeraVe
- Facts About Dimethicone in Skincare | CeraVe
- Facts About Hyaluronic Acid in Skincare | CeraVe
- Facts About Niacinamide in Skincare | CeraVe
- Facts About Petrolatum in Skincare | CeraVe
- Facts About Pramoxine Hydrochloride in Skincare | CeraVe
- Facts About Retinol in Skincare | CeraVe
- Facts About Salicylic Acid in Skincare | CeraVe
- Facts About Vitamin C in Skincare | CeraVe
- Facts About Zinc Oxide in Skincare | CeraVe
Stay Informed On All Things Skincare
Sign up to receive information about new products, skincare routines, tips, and special offers.*