Important Things to Know about Petrolatum
Can petrolatum be used on the body?
Petrolatum can be used on skin in need of hydration and/or protection on any part of the body. Because of its ability to help prevent moisture loss, it’s especially effective for promoting healing as well as hydrating extremely dry skin in areas such as the heels while being gentle enough for delicate baby skin.*
Can petrolatum be used with other skincare ingredients?
Petrolatum is often included in skincare products for its hydrating and protective benefits. Petrolatum is a very stable ingredient that is unlikely to react with other ingredients.
How does petrolatum work?
As an emollient, petrolatum has the ability to penetrate all of the uppermost layers of the skin to fill in the spaces between skin cells. In addition, it prevents moisture loss and helps to provide immediate occlusion for compromised skin.
How is petrolatum used?
Commonly found in balms and ointments, petrolatum can also be combined with other hydrating and skin-softening ingredients in lotions and creams.
Who should use petrolatum?
A superior moisturizer and skin protectant, petrolatum is suitable for all skin types. Skin reactions to petrolatum are known to be extremely rare, which is why petrolatum is often included in products for babies as well as those with sensitive and/or compromised skin. Petrolatum’s ability to form a long-lasting physical barrier on the skin makes it a common ingredient in diaper creams. It's also non-comedogenic, so it won't clog pores or aggravate acne-prone skin.
Explore Our Ingredients
- Facts About Benzoyl Peroxide in Skincare | CeraVe Canada
- Facts About Dimethicone in Skincare | CeraVe Canada
- Facts About Hyaluronic Acid in Skincare | CeraVe Canada
- Facts About Niacinamide in Skincare | CeraVe Canada
- Facts About Petrolatum in Skincare | CeraVe Canada
- Facts About Pramoxine Hydrochloride in Skincare | CeraVe Canada
- Facts About Retinol in Skincare | CeraVe Canada
- Facts About Salicylic Acid in Skincare | CeraVe Canada
- Facts About Vitamin C in Skincare | CeraVe Canada
- Facts About Zinc Oxide in Skincare | CeraVe Canada
Stay Informed On All Things Skincare
Sign up to receive information about new products, skincare routines, tips, and special offers.*